C-150 150 HP Conversion

C-150 150 HP Conversion

<HTML>I have a very clean low-time C-150H with 60 hours on a very good Millinium rebuild.
Is it reasonable to trade that motor for a 150 hp motor? Would I get a weight allowance for the extra performance? I know some say get a C-172 but I kind of like the notion of my little bird climbing like a bat outa hell.</HTML>

useravatar
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: C-150 150 HP Conversion

<HTML>Okay, I discovered the SEARCH function and saw the posts about the two STC's for the 150-160 hp conversions. Seems very expensive, time consuming, and leaves you in legal limbo - am I right?</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>There was a recent article on a 150/150 in one of the magazines, but I forget which one.  For this particular STC, there was no increase in gross weight, so the useful load suffered quite a bit.  Also, the fuel consumption jumped 50%, so endurance also suffered.  Basically, it turned the 150 into a single place airplane with limited range that climbed like crazy.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Here are some of the STC holders for the O-320 and O-360 conversions:

STCNumber  SA1034SW
Manufacturer  CESSNA 
MakeModel  150D, 150E, 150F, 150G, 150H, 150J, 150K, 150L 
TCNumber  3A19 
Description  Installation of Lycoming O-320-E2D engine and Sensenich 74DM or McCauley 1C172TM propeller. 
Status  Reissued   5/16/89 
ACO  SW 
STCHolder  AAR Oklahoma
6611 South Meridian
Oklahoma City   OKLAHOMA   73159-110  UNITED STATES

STCNumber  SA4795SW
Manufacturer  CESSNA 
MakeModel  150, 150A, 150B, 150C, 150D, 150E, 150F, 150G, 150H, 150J, 150K, 150L, 150M, 152, A150K, A150L, A150M, A152 
TCNumber  3A19 
Description  Installation of Avco Lycoming O-360 or O-320 engine and increase gross weight. 
Status  Reissued   3/1/00 
ACO  NM-L 
STCHolder  Aircraft Conversion Technologies, Inc
P.O. Box 119
6245 Aerodrome Way
Georgetown   CALIFORNIA   95634  UNITED STATES

STCNumber  SA572CE
Manufacturer  CESSNA 
MakeModel  150, 150A, 150B, 150C, 150D, 150E, 150F, 150G, 150H, 150J, 150K, 150L, 150M, A150L, A150M 
TCNumber  3A19 
Description  Installation of Lycoming 150 or 160 hp Model O-320 engine. (150, 150A, 150B, 150C, 150D, 150E, 150F, 150G, 150H, 150J, 150K, 150L A150L, 150M, A150M NORMAL CATEGORY LANDPLANES) 
Status  Amended   12/20/01 
ACO  CE-W 
STCHolder  Robert or Barbara Williams
Box 431, 213 North Clark
Phone: 620-782-3851 FAX: 800-872-3853
Udall   KANSAS   67146  UNITED STATES

STCNumber  SA750CE
Manufacturer  CESSNA 
MakeModel  150, 150A, 150B, 150C, 150D, 150E, 150F, 150G, 150H, 150J, 150K, 150L, 150M, A150K, A150L 
TCNumber  3A19 
Description  Installation of Lycoming 150 and160 hp Model O-320-( ) engine. (150, 150A, 150C, 150D, 150E, 150F, 150K, 150J, A150K, 150L, A150L, 150B, 150M, 150H, 150G LANDPLANES) 
Status  Amended   10/19/87 
ACO  CE-W 
STCHolder  Robert or Barbara Williams
P.O. Box 654
Phone: 620-782-3851 FAX: 800-872-3853
Udall   KANSAS   67146  UNITED STATES 

I'm not sure what the difference is between SA750CE and SA572CE since both are for the same thing and held by the same STC Holder.  It also looks like at least one of them (SA4795SW) includes a gross weight increase.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>William,
  While I understand you wanting your 150 to Fly like a bat out of H---,I suspect that if you pursue this project you will wind up regretting it both Financially,and from a usefulness standpoint.
Ive done little research on this project,but do remember something about the bird becoming"Pilot Only" after the modification.
In my case I like the 150 just as it is,fun to fly,ECONOMICAL,and very forgiving(especially for low time VFR Pilots like myself).
Im preparing to do a Millenium rebuild on 26G this winter,and have been told by my A&P that the upcoming major will make the old proverbial"night & Day" difference in performance,climb etc....Im looking forward to that.
Ive known a couple of folks over the past 25 years or so that have done this mod,and both have initially enjoyed it(despite the expense,and downtime),but after the new wore off,they just became ramp queens until sold and/or parted out.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Thanks guys. I'm going to leave my little bird be and start looking for a bigger faster airplane like a C-182.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>I was in the same position as you, owning a 150 and wanting 210 performance.  I settled for a 172.  The operating cost are not much different than the 150 and it cllimbes much better, is faster and has about 200lbs more payload. If you put a lot of money in the engine (or the panel for that matter) you will have a hard time getting your investment back.  Good Luck.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Hello,
I too, thought of switching my 145hp engine to a 180hp in my 172. After figuring the costs, plus things like paint and interior, I sold my 172. I now own a fully restored 1962 182E. I go faster and am more comfortable with the extra room. It is less tiring for IFR flying than was my 172.
So, I would, as others have, recommend buying another bird.
Blue skies!
Glenn</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Yes!  My God I read that first post and the idea of taking a plane with a fine working new engine and swapping it with another engine made me want to cry. 

I too bought a supercheap 172 and often fly it like a 150.  I use 2100 RPM and it flies 100MPH and burns 6 gallons an hour (it thinks it's a 150!).  And if I want to climb 1000 ft/min, I fly solo or with one passenger, fill the tanks half, and use full power.  It thinks it's a 150/150!  Two planes in one!

Of course, it won't hold a six turn spin without some power, and the roll rate seems like 1 degree per minute, but...

Mark</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Hello, My next door neighbor had a 152 with an 0-320 STC and he was not very happy. His annuals prices were OUTRAGEOUS and he kept getting out run by all the planes he thought he should be beating back to the home airport. I know very little about it but I do know that. The advice about getting a little 172 is pretty good, using the throttle and fuel load to select the type of plane you want that day.

The only small ~1500 lbs airplane upgrade I have seen that the owners were satisifed with  was the Grumman Yankee 150/160 upgrades. They are less draggy than a 152....BUT....they will not forgive you like a 152. I know I owned one for a year. Fun airplane but that is a story for the Grumman forum...

good luck.

walt</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>William, The 150 I had with a 180 HP engine was super.  There is a weight increase available through the STC that I believe adds an additional 150#s.  The performance with a cruise prop from an Piper Archer was 145mph and climb was 1500 fpm.  Fuel burn was 9.5 at 75% power.  We used an O-360 we bought from on of the wrecking yards with 200 FREM and purchased the STC from ACT.  The plane would be faster than any 172 even with a 180hp engine.  It would climb better and you could carry another adult with you.  I would recommend the long-range tanks.

Don</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>William

There is a recent article in September issue of "Plane and Pilot Magazine" about a 150/150 Texas Taildragger conversion. It seemed like the only real improvement is in the climb and Takeoff. Payload with Full fuel is only 144LBS as shown in the article. Looks like maybe it flies most of the time at or over gross or real short on range.

Good luck in what ever you may decide on.</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>I've been down the road of smaller/cheaper - bigger/faster/lotsmoreexpensive also and would like to share some of my thoughts.
I have flown ultralights to 210's and enjoyed them all, lots and lots of time in a 150/152, some time in a Piper Warrior, and some time in a 172, a little in 182's 210's etc.
The 152 and 172 are comfortable forgiving airplanes, and although bigger faster is almost always on the cover of most magazines, and I entertain the idea of bigger faster occasionally, I really like My 172. Its as easy to fly and take care of as a 152 ( it flies like a 152 because it has the same control surfaces !  just a bit more sluggish response because more weight, bigger wing to turn  - maybe a little over 1 deg/sec ) .
My 172 is easy and fun to fly solo and it still hauls the family or friends easily, crosstown or cross country.
The 172 is reasonable to take care of, I have upgraded the radios, put in a Garmin 295, and added a Powerflow exhaust - so I have some money in mods but not a fortune, and at rebuild time I'm still rebuilding the original engine- as the exhaust is an add on, so rebuild costs are about the same
A 182 or up will get you there faster, and carry more, but how often are you in that kind of hurry or will really carry that payload.

I enjoy the flight, and am not always in a real big hurry to get back on the ground, which is where you'll be in a faster machine.

With the exhaust ( the also wing has a few mods from years past )  system as a help, I have no trouble leaving the runway on a hot humid day, with family, luggage, and full fuel, and climbing out at 1000 fpm. The climb tapers off above 6-7 thousand or so, but its prettty easy to spiral up through clouds or climb over anything up through 10 thousand.
Anyway, its a very enjoyable aircraft, moderately priced and I can get my moneys worth out of what I've put into it if I ever decide to move on, and when I'm not flying often its really inexpensive to keep/upkeep - something that doesnt happen as easily in bigger/faster.

My Thoughts

Good Luck and enjoy whatever you fly.

( I add "enjoy" because occasionally in my flight training I would be so busy learning that I had to stop and remind myself to have fun doing this, and have had to remind myself occasionally since then also ) 

Ken Wanagas</HTML>

useravatar

<HTML>Thanks guys for all the input.

Say Don, could you tell us how much the ACT STC for the 180 hp conversion cost? Would you estmate how much time and money the project required? 1500 fpm, 145kts, and 150 extra pounds sounds great.</HTML>

useravatar

William;
Sorry to reply so long after your post in regard to the Cessna 150/150, but I own one (having a 160 horsepower Lycoming) and I wanted to clarify some misinformation I found on this forum.

Performance... I always grin when I take off of my grass strip on my farm. I'm easily airborne in 600 feet, me only full of gas and the grass causes a little extra drag as compared to taking off on asphalt. I have a 28 foot tall powerline on the north end of my grass strip, so I am not able to land on the "threshold" but about 500 feet further down. My house is 1,200 feet from the powerline and I usually am able to stop adjacent to my backyard. I have Vortex generators and my slow-flight characteristics are very impressive. I'm able to land 600 feet from the powerline and stop about 550 later in order to taxi into my hanger in the backyard.

Fuel consumption myths!!!
If I fly my 160 HP Cessna at the cruise speed a "regular" Cessna 150 cruises at, I'm basically using the same amount of horsepower to fly with the "slower" guys and thus I have a nearly identical range as my underpowered buddies (minus a slight penalty for the additional weight I carry for the heavier engine.) Than being said, if nasty weather starts to build, I can get my airplane up to 140 mph and outrun storms, except I can't do that for very long because the consumption goes way up. Additionally, if I hit turbulent air, I can climb up higher than a Cessna 172 (and outrun them) and get out of the chop. I certainly don't have the range of a 172, so they win in that category...

Everybody wants an airplane that sips fuel, flies high, can land short and can go all day long. I've owned 6 airplanes and none of them could do this. Although I have a little time in a B-52 (which can fly high and go for days with refueling) it can't land on my grass strip.

My Cessna 150/150 allows me the opportunity to go up in the sky, loaf and loiter or leap and scream. My wife and I fly in this off the grass strip, full of fuel and maybe a shoebox full of stuff when we go somewhere for an overnight trip.

It's not the perfect airplane, but for what I use it for, I am always impressed what this little bird can do. Annuals are simple and cheap, the views from below are stunning, it is able to leap buildings with a single bound and I can typically only fly it 2 hours before needing to land for gas (but the guy following me in the 100 ponie Cessna 150) typically needs to land at each of my stops too for gas.

It makes much more sense to BUY a 150 that has already been converted into a 150/150. The conversion will set you back MUCHO DINERO and the people selling the STC's are flakes and difficult to get on the phone. If you buy a 150/150, just make sure you have all the paperwork that comes with the STC. Mine did, but mine was missing a couple of required placards that were never installed (spins and useful load).

useravatar

I have a C150H I picked up for the right price,,,,,I am considering an alteration.  150hp engine...Stol wing tips.  And for sure "leather interior.  I also have a pretty sweet Aztec with low time and tows....but to bounce in and out of my farm would be sweet.   Any Suggestions?

useravatar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwestu … /?edited=1

I've flown a small 2 seater Avid that I built (see my video on YouTube "FIRST FLIGHT AVID FLYER" the smallest airplane I've flown, to a B-52 (also on my YouTube account) and right seat in a Cessna 421 with my dad and a Twin Bonanza Excalibur... and dozens more BUT, my Cessna 150/150 with a 160 horsepower Lycoming is the most enjoyable I've ever been at the controls of.

For anyone contemplating converting a 150 into a 150/150, YOU ARE NUTS.

The A&P/IA who converted my Cessna said it cost him $55,000 after all was said and done. First there was the purchase, then the STC, the big engine and what ever else was needed... Then their is the down-time. For most folks, it takes them a year. Some have done it in a couple of months.

So, if you are willing to wait and if you enjoy "working long hours" in an un-airconditioned hanger for months at a time, go for the conversion. As for me, I've been flying, and flying and flying.

Oh, try calling someone who offers the STC for the 150/150... You'll go nuts.

I just came back from a trip traversing the US Continental Divide (see my pictures of the Very Large Array in New Mexico on my FLickr account) and I never would have been able to have flown this route in a "lesser" 150. Even a Cessna 172 would not have had the performance my 150/160 had.

The only drawback (other than the flaky people selling the STCs) is the range. I can't fly more than two hours, but geeze, can I get places fast in that 2 hours...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwestu … /?edited=1

Here (above) is a link to my Cessna (with vortex generators, leather interior, new transponder, new radio (there are two radios in my panel) belly drain, MetcoAire wingtips... more and more.

Word to the wise... buy a converted Cessna 150/150 already having all these goodies and save the grief and the $$$$$.

useravatar

Opps... I should have read my post in "PREVIEW" before posting (their instead of THERE... sorry) and I forgot to add this picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwestu … /?edited=1
... Where the Cessna sits on the runway, I can be airborne at the end of my backyard, on a cool day, just me and about 12 gallons of gas.

These little birds are entirely too much fun... and I simply can't imagine this experience of not simply going out and buying one that has already been converted... You can fly her home that afternoon (a 150/150) or you can park her in a hanger for many months and be grounded (while the conversion is being done) and watch your bank account being depleted. I wouldn't be surprised if you would drop $50,000 in such a project after factoring in the purchase price of a clean 150, buying the STC (if you can get the Bush people to answer their phone (which they DON'T) and last time I talked to the other guy, he was in limbo or "plane-purgatory" and doing nothing.

useravatar

I am an owner of a cessna 150 150 at vgt airport. I had too get the engine overhalled a year after a boutght the airplane. which was a big exspppenss. $14,000 so I got $40,000 into a cessna 150. 
      I need to find an oil temp gage and oil  pressure gage for an 0320E2D.  so i have been calling bush conversons and i have an stc bush converson, and barbra and willum bush are crappie piople. they never call back and they dont answer ther phone.

I did get them too answer there phone three years ago. and the ladey who answerd the phone. was the ownr . but she wasent, she said i will have them call you back when they get back from there trip.  that was three years ago.  and I still cant get intouch with them.   i wish the faa would get involved with them.

useravatar

Good News, Bad News Cessna 150/150

Let's start with the bad news first... recently, I received a letter from the FAA, specifically a doctor who advised my privileges may be revoked if my medical conditions are not improved (blood pressure, diveticulitis and tingling in my feet and hands...)

I sent a letter to the doctor explaining my tingling sensation was caused by an exposure to acetone, methethtyl ketone and nitrate/buterate dopes used in taunting fabrics on a homebuilt airplane I am making... (I didn't use gloves or a respirator, the chemicals made me sick, I went to a doctor to check on this and now the FAA thinks I'm probably getting some weird disease because I had the tingling in my extremities...)

My next medical is scheduled January 2010 and I might simply switch to Light Sport flying (not needing a medical, if you fly an airplane under a certain weight limit.) The airplane I am building qualifies for LSA.

The "GOOD NEWS" (if there is any) is I might be putting my Cessna 150/150 up for sale. It has new leather seats, an expensive "flip-flop" Narco digital transponder, new Narco radio with flip-flop, new Metcoaire wingtips, new Vortex generators, spin-on oil filter, new Airtex carpet and some more things. Please note, my interior is LEGAL, some people buy automotive carpet and install in an airplane and that IS ILLEGAL. The leather used in the seats had to go to a special lab for an FAA burn test (I have the paperwork).

My Cessna has an 0-320E2D 160 horsepower (not a 150 horse) Lycoming engine and I think it has around 1,200 hours since major overhaul. The airframe is around 4,500. (But I'd have to look at the logs to verify).

I can post pictures on my Flickr account if anyone is interested in my airplane... but at this juncture, I still haven't made up my mind if I want to part with it... I need to visit my AME and see what he thinks my next medical might look like.

Not sure if you can contact me direct through this forum, but I'll try and check back from time to time to see if anyone is interested in my Cessna. Oil consumption is about one quart every 8 hours, which is about what I've experienced on my Cherokee and Tomahawk and others I've had in the past. My Cessna has appeared to have been hangared all it's life, mostly here in the dryer regions of Texas.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it has TWO RADIOS, making it very handy when flying through complicated airspace. With the flip-flop Narco and a King radio, it makes it easy for me to have three frequencies already available (like approach, tower, ground) or (Clearance Delivery, ATIS, Center) and it reduces the workload in the air, by simply throwing a switch, instead of dialing in frequencies.

Please contact me if interested, however, no promise at this juncture if indeed I'll be selling... I'm just trying to be "pre-emptive" on the Light Sport Aircraft if I have to switch...

useravatar

FELLOW 150 OWNERS . I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED MY FIRST PLANE IT IS A 67 MODEL. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE BATTERY ENDING UP DEAD AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS. IT IS FLOWN  AT LEAST 2 HOURS A WEEK. THE GENERATOR SEEMS TO STILL BE BUZZING IN THE HEADSETS AS IT RUNS . NO SWITCHES SEEM TO BE LEFT ON . THE AMMETER SHOWS CHARGING DURING FLIGHT .  HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE ? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW TO FIX IT. HELP WELCOMED

useravatar

#1. Check your logbook and determine when the battery was installed. If it is 3 years old, it is probably near it's life expectancy and you might need to buy a new one.

#2. Even if the battery is "newer", if it has ever sat in a discharged state, and exposed to below freezing temps, this can damage the plates in the battery and you might have a dead cell or two.

#3. Is there any evidence of corrosion under the terminals? The slightest slime, or crust or debris can cause problems. Clean the devil out of them, dress with a battery terminal paste and re-attach.

#4. Is the altenator belt nice and tight, or is it worn. The belt might feel tight, but is the "V" bands have a glossy (slick) look to them, the belt can actually slip in the pulley and thus not spinning the altenator up-to-speed sufficient to charge the battery, while handing the load inside the panel, etc.

#5. Better yet, just buy my Cessna 150/160 and go nuts.

useravatar

I just got a 1977 Texas Taildragger with the 150 hp conversion and I love it. The guy I purchased it from just said to disregard the increase in gross weight because the engine has the power to do the job. It's the same as a 172 except without the back seats. It also has the long range tanks. You can lean it out to about 8gph @ 2500RPM, 5,000ft pressure altitude, or if you prefer 6gph @ 2300RPM. This airplane is in the Utility category.

Glen

useravatar

I would like to receive pics and general information about your plane if you sell it. Thank you in advance.

useravatar

That was for RSB. If you sell your plane. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

useravatar

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info:

Total Users:
Newest User:
jtpeterzalek@aol.com
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

Topic
 New
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

ankara escort ankara rus escort ankara escort bayan ankara bayan partner ankara escort kizlar escort ankara ankara escort ankara eskort ankara escort bayan ankara bayan partner ankara escort kizlar escort ankara