Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Help finding parts for 1968 172I

I need a couple of parts for my 68 172I.  I'm having trouble finding them, and would like to know if anyone could help.

First I need the rectangular cover that fills the hole at the top of the nose wheel pant around the strut.  Mine was missing since I bought the plane.  I'd like to find one for it.

Next, I need the window latch for the left side door window. 

Does anyone know where I can find these parts?

Thank you,
Don

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Don
The window latch consist of three parts, the part that screws the the window itself is called - Bracket Assembly, P/N 1411202-201, Next is the Handle, P/N S1483-2, and the pin that secures the two together, P/N NAS561P3-8. These parts are the same on all serial numbered series for your airplane. The other part that you are looking for is commonly referred to as the Cover Plate Assembly, however, is Serial Number specific. The Serial Number range for your airplane starts at S/N 17256513 thru 17257161, The book shows the P/N 0543063-1 providing the correct Speed Fairings are installed. If you are planning to install the cover plate for the nose fairing yourself, release the pressure from the nose strut BEFORE removing the thru bolt as this bolt retains the base plug in the strut and and by not releasing the pressure the plug will blow out and create a rather large mess.
As far as where to get these parts, I suggest trying Cessna for both the window latch, as these are rarely found in good condition used and the cover plate. Salvage yards usually do not want to sell cover plates for the fairings as they do not want to break up and assembly. Hope this helps...
-Tom

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Tom,

Thank you for the help.  I appreciate it.

I only need the handle of the window latch assembly, as the little push button that is on the inside fell out, and now the handle won't stay locked.  I still have the handle on there, and don't know if I can just repair mine or not.

As far as the cover plate assembly goes, I may need to try Cessna then.  I do believe the original speed fairings are on the aircraft.  I don't think I need to remove the pressure in the strut first on my aircraft, as I've had it off before and nothing happened.  There is only one small through bolt that holds the speed fairing and cover on.  Maybe I just got lucky, but your warning concerned me some!

Thanks again.
Don

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Tom,

Sorry, but another question for you:

Who do you recommend I contact for these parts?  I tried Cessna, and was placed on hold and hung up after 15 minutes.  Apparently they don't sell parts directly?

Who is a good dealer that may have these items?

Thank you,
Don

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Don:

The Van Bortel folks can assist. See the banner ad to your right.

Or, Yingling Aviation at http://www.yinglingaviation.com/parts/index.html

Bobby Thompson is our parts contact there.

Both places are price competitive and employ very knowledgeable staff members.

Good luck.

COO Helpdesk

helpdesk
useravatar
Offline
167 Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Don, Niagra airparts has the window latch assembly you are looking for. The wheel pant fairing may be a bit tougher to find. I may be able to fabricate the striker plate for the window latch if you need it. Does your 172i have the Cessna logo on the fuselage side under the rear windows. I am looking for one to use as a pattern to get some made. Call me if you like, I have just finished a 10 year interior restoration of my 172i. Check out www.N8444L.com for photos.  Thanks, Robin 845-687-4384

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

I have a 172K with the decal you are seeking.  I could take a picture of it if you wish.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Ron, a picture would be great. Also if you could measure the height and length that would also be helpful. I need the one that goes from serial number 17256513 to 17257161, cessna part #1205013-5. Thanks again Ron

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Robin,

Thanks for the reply.  My 172I does have the logo under the rear windows.  It is a thin metal emblem that says Skyhawk.  Is that the logo you are talKing about?

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

You might visit the Dawson Aircraft Salvage website. They may have just what you need and they are great people to deal with. I'd also check Ebay motors aircraft parts. You can often find miscellaneous airplane part and stuff there.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Don, if your aircraft serial number is between 17256513 and 17257161, then that is the emblem I am looking for. My phone is 845-687-4384. Would love to talk to you about your plane. If I could get a close-up photo of your emblem and the dimensions, I would like to get some made for other guys doing restorations to there 172i's. Thanks again, Robin

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

hey Don, im the parts manager at Jetstream Aviation,
i do a lot of cessna part orders, for any owners who want to do their own research, i reccomend cessnaparts.com and do a part search if you know the part number.
that gives you a good idea of a price and how easy it will be to find.
then i would reccomend going through your local cessna dealer to get the parts you need. for Idaho it is Reeder flying service, for Utah its http://www.intermountainair.com/parts.htm..
thats where i would start, there are many good junkyard websites, but as i have experience first hand, you need to remember that there is ABSOLUTELY NO guarantee on these parts and you might end up getting a bad part that was a waste of your money and your mechanics time (which is still your money)
thanks Don, hope you find what you are looking for

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

You might try giving a call to a fellow named Clayton Caessens,Pensacola florida. I bought some control yokes from him. He is or was parting out a 1968 172I that is storm damaged. Good luck

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Don, yes, that is the emblem I am looking for, if you could take a picture of it and email it to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , that would be great. Thank you for your time, Robin Riley, 845-687-4384. I am still looking for the actual emblem that I can use to have reproductions made. If anyone can send me one, condition not important, I would be happy to send you 2 new ones once they are made. Robin Riley, 35 Vincent Lane Stone Ridge, NY 12484.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Robin:  I have a 68 172 #57078 that got damaged last oct by a tornado.  Repairs are almost done but we have not yet painted the hull.  It has the plate you need on each side.  I am assuming that my AP will be removing them to paint.  If he does I'll gladly send you one and take you up on the deal for new ones. I'll call and find out.
 
  There are about 1500 hrs total time on the plane (500 hrs myself) with original avocado green interior (excellent condition, no rips or tears and perfect headliner) and until last oct, all original paint. I don't blame you for wanting to redo your plane..the 68s are great airplanes.  Mine had many new parts and everything in perfect shape back in oct and with the new wing from Williams Airmotive and other cosmetic work it will rise again.  good luck on your project  Steve

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Try Cessna Parts for hard to find new and used Cessna equipment.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Brian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey Don, im the parts manager at Jetstream
> Aviation,
> i do a lot of cessna part orders, for any owners
> who want to do their own research, i reccomend
> cessnaparts.com and do a part search if you know
> the part number.
> that gives you a good idea of a price and how easy
> it will be to find.
> then i would reccomend going through your local
> cessna dealer to get the parts you need. for Idaho
> it is Reeder flying service, for Utah its
> http://www.intermountainair.com/parts.htm..
> thats where i would start, there are many good
> junkyard websites, but as i have experience first
> hand, you need to remember that there is
> ABSOLUTELY NO guarantee on these parts and you
> might end up getting a bad part that was a waste
> of your money and your mechanics time (which is
> still your money)
> thanks Don, hope you find what you are looking for

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Norm Lanier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try Cessna Parts for hard to find new and used
> Cessna equipment.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Hi I need to find 2 fuel inlet fitting for bladder tanks. They are the rear ones that are straight. Thnaks

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

John wrote:

Need 0713495-7 landing gear box bracket--new or servicable

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don
> The window latch consist of three parts, the part
> that screws the the window itself is called -
> Bracket Assembly, P/N 1411202-201, Next is the
> Handle, P/N S1483-2, and the pin that secures the
> two together, P/N NAS561P3-8. These parts are the
> same on all serial numbered series for your
> airplane. The other part that you are looking for
> is commonly referred to as the Cover Plate
> Assembly, however, is Serial Number specific. The
> Serial Number range for your airplane starts at
> S/N 17256513 thru 17257161, The book shows the P/N
> 0543063-1 providing the correct Speed Fairings are
> installed. If you are planning to install the
> cover plate for the nose fairing yourself, release
> the pressure from the nose strut BEFORE removing
> the thru bolt as this bolt retains the base plug
> in the strut and and by not releasing the pressure
> the plug will blow out and create a rather large
> mess.
> As far as where to get these parts, I suggest
> trying Cessna for both the window latch, as these
> are rarely found in good condition used and the
> cover plate. Salvage yards usually do not want to
> sell cover plates for the fairings as they do not
> want to break up and assembly. Hope this helps...
> -Tom

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Looking for used Cessna 180 K tail wheel stinger assembly (Heavy duty version) Also LH and RH steps.

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Re: Help finding parts for 1968 172I

Hi All

Window latches for a cessna 172M

Cessna price $681 each

http://www.niagaraairparts.com/

Price $145 each

Will do most models of cessna

Guest
Guest
useravatar
Offline
Posts
User info in posts
Only registered users or members can reply or post

Board Info

Board Stats:
 
Total Topics:
6047
Total Polls:
1
Total Posts:
16359
Dormant:
User Info:
 
Total Users:
2567
Newest User:
rolly@mainlineind.ca
Members Online:
0
Guests Online:
2681

Online: 
There are no members online

Forum Legend:

 Topic
 New
 Locked
 Sticky
 Active
 New/Active
 New/Locked
 New Sticky
 Locked/Active
 Active/Sticky
 Sticky/Locked
 Sticky/Active/Locked

ankara escort ankara rus escort ankara escort bayan ankara bayan partner ankara escort kizlar escort ankara ankara escort ankara eskort ankara escort bayan ankara bayan partner ankara escort kizlar escort ankara